Contact   Disclaimer   German

A tradition in papermaking since the 17th century

The Schulte family has a rich and venerable history as a papermaking family. Their oldest documented ancestor is Wilhelm Schulte; we know that his wife was laid to rest on 9 February 1681. He was a papermaker for the Adolf Vorster paper mill in Broich (today a district of Mülheim an der Ruhr). Wilhelm Schulte is even said to have been preceded by three generations of papermakers.

Wilhelm Schulte was succeeded by four more generations of papermakers, who mostly worked for the Vorster paper mill in Delstern (near Hagen), and lastly for JD Röpe at the Johannesthal paper mill in Hemer. Then, in 1827, Friedrich Schulte (1802-1872), at his father’s request, constructed the first Schulte-owned paper mill in Calle (near Iserlohn).

Friedrich Schulte had four sons and one daughter. Both of the eldest sons, Friedrich Schulte (1829-1900) and Julius Schulte (1831-1888), together with Otto Scheffen, established the Gebrüder Schulte & Scheffen paper mill in 1860. This paper factory represents the start of paper production in the city of Düsseldorf. The plant primarily manufactured sugar paper.

JULIUS SCHULTE became independent in 1886 and established his own paper factory on the southern bank of the Düssel River for the manufacture of packaging and core paper. The raw material basis for all papers were scraps and waste paper.

JULIUS SCHULTE passed away in 1888, shortly after the mill began operations. His oldest son Emil (1861-1947) initially assumed the role of successor. Apparently, some disputes arose among the siblings, until the second oldest son – likewise named Julius Schulte (1868-1938) – took over executive management in 1910. By the mid-1920s, KURT POTHMANN, a grandson of the company founder, began working for the company. In 1938, he took over the reins of executive management from the hands of his Uncle Julius, and was the sole shareholder. He passed on the executive management to his sons Dieter (*1927) and Gert (1931-2008) Pothmann. Since their retirement, the operational responsibility was placed in the hands of individuals who were not part of the family. The company is currently a 4th and 5th generation company, owned by direct descendants of its founder.




History of Julius Schulte Söhne GmbH & Co. KG

« 1886 »

Established by JULIUS SCHULTE (1831-1888).

« 1888 »

Packaging and core papers, as well as raw roofing felt, are produced on a paper machine at a rate of 1,700 tonnes/year. The basic raw materials for all papers are scraps and waste paper.

The oldest son, EMIL SCHULTE (1861-1947), assumes leadership of the company following the death of his father in 1888.

« 1898 »

At this time, 7,000 tonnes/year are produced on two paper machines.

« 1910 »

The second oldest son of founder JULIUS SCHULTE (1868-1938) assumes executive management.

« 1927-1929 »

Production volume rises to 8,600 tonnes/year.

« 1931-1933 »

The global economic crisis causes a production collapse: Production is conducted on just 181 workdays. Output declines to 6,700 tonnes/year.

« 1933-1934 »

Production soars to 13,400 tonnes/year.

« 1938 »

KURT POTHMANN (1898-1984) takes over executive management.

« 1943 »

On 11 June, the paper factory is completely burned down due to an Allied bombing raid.

« 1945/1946 »

Production resumes.

« 1950-1959 »

Modernisation of the plant, beginning with a new Hollander beater, retrofit of Paper Machine 2, and installation of a modern system for waste paper processing.

« 1960 »

Around 1960, Paper Machine 1 is replaced by Paper Machine 3.

« 1967 »

Start-up of the crude oil-heated power plant.

« 1975 »

Global economy overheats and collapses once the OPEC states pursue a politically motivated boycott of oil shipments.

« 1984 »

Sons DIETER (*1927) and GERT POTHMANN (1931-2008) take over executive management. After their retirement, responsibility for daily business operations is placed in non-family hands. In July 1984, the plant begins operating on a continuous basis seven days a week.

« 1990 »

At the start of the 1990s, the company ceases with the production of raw roofing felt and instead launches the production of laminated cardboard.

« 1993 »

Installation of a gas turbine with a waste heat recovery boiler.

« 2000 »

Production of up to 80,000 tonnes/year achieved.

« 2003 »

Larger investments go into measures to reduce noise and odour emissions, as well as into the anaerobic/biological water circuit treatment system. This innovative efficiency earns the company the 2003 NRW Efficiency Award in recognition of the integration of environmentally sound technology into its production process. The award is granted by EFA/North Rhine-Westphalia.

« 2013 »

Production is expanded to 100,000 tonnes/year.

Julius Schulte
Trebsen GmbH & Co. KG
Pauschwitzer Str. 45
04687 Trebsen
Germany
Telefon: +49 (0) 3 43 83-97-0
Fax:+49 (0) 3 43 83-97-237
E-Mail: Info@Schulte-Trebsen.de
Internet: www.Schulte-Trebsen.de
© 2000-2013 Julius Schulte Trebsen GmbH & Co. KG